A Vehicle Kill Switch is a simple but effective anti-theft device that can be installed on any car. It works by interrupting the electrical circuit that powers your car’s ignition system or fuel pump, which are essential for starting and running your car. The switch can be hidden anywhere in your car, such as under the dashboard, in the glove box, or in the trunk. You can activate or deactivate the switch by pressing a button, flipping a lever, or using a remote control. When the switch is on, the circuit is broken and the car cannot be started or driven. When the switch is off, the circuit is restored and the car can operate normally.
What are the benefits of having a Vehicle Kill Switch?
Having a Vehicle Kill Switch can provide you with several benefits, such as:
• It can deter thieves from stealing your car. Most car thieves are looking for easy targets that they can quickly start and drive away. If they encounter a car that does not respond to their attempts to start it, they will likely move on to another car. A Vehicle Kill Switch can make your car appear to be broken or have a dead battery, which will discourage thieves from wasting their time and risking their exposure.
• It can prevent thieves from hot-wiring your car. Some car thieves can bypass your car’s ignition system by cutting and connecting the wires that lead to the starter or the ignition coil. This is called hot-wiring, and it can allow thieves to start your car without a key. However, if you have a Vehicle Kill Switch that cuts off the power to the fuel pump, the car will not run even if it is hot-wired. The fuel pump is responsible for delivering fuel from the tank to the engine, and without fuel, the engine will not work.
• It can save you money and hassle. Losing your car to theft can be a costly and stressful experience. You may have to deal with insurance claims, police reports, and replacement costs. You may also lose valuable items or personal information that were in your car. Having a Vehicle Kill Switch can reduce the chances of your car being stolen, and thus save you money and hassle in the long run.
How to install a Vehicle Kill Switch on your car?
Installing a Vehicle Kill Switch on your car is not very difficult, but it does require some basic tools and skills. You will need a switch, some wires, a fuse, a relay, and a soldering iron. You will also need to locate your car’s ignition system or fuel pump, and identify the wires that control them. You can find this information in your car’s manual or online. Here are the general steps to install a Vehicle Kill Switch on your car:
• Disconnect the negative terminal of your car’s battery to avoid any electrical shocks or damage.
• Choose a location for your switch that is hidden and accessible. You can mount it under the dashboard, in the glove box, or in the trunk. Make sure the switch is not visible from the outside or easily reachable by thieves.
• Run a wire from the switch to the fuse box, and connect it to a fuse that is only active when the ignition is on. This will ensure that the switch only works when the car is running or in the accessory mode. You can use a test light or a multimeter to find a suitable fuse.
• Run another wire from the switch to the relay, and connect it to the coil terminal of the relay. The relay is a device that can switch a high-current circuit with a low-current signal. You can mount the relay near the fuse box or the ignition system or fuel pump.
• Run a wire from the battery terminal of the relay to the positive terminal of your car’s battery. This will provide the power to the relay and the circuit. You may need to extend the wire or use a connector to reach the battery.
• Run a wire from the normally closed terminal of the relay to the ignition system or fuel pump, and cut and splice it to the wire that controls them. This will interrupt the circuit that powers the ignition system or fuel pump, and allow the relay to switch it on or off. You can use a soldering iron and some heat-shrink tubing to make a secure and insulated connection.
• Reconnect the negative terminal of your car’s battery, and test your switch. When the switch is on, the relay should be open and the circuit should be broken, preventing the car from starting or running. When the switch is off, the relay should be closed and the circuit should be restored, allowing the car to operate normally.
A Vehicle Kill Switch is a simple but effective anti-theft device that can protect your car from thieves. It works by interrupting the electrical circuit that powers your car’s ignition system or fuel pump, making it impossible for thieves to start or drive your car without your permission. Having a Vehicle Kill Switch can deter thieves, prevent hot-wiring, and save you money and hassle. Installing a Vehicle Kill Switch on your car is not very difficult, but it does require some basic tools and skills. You can follow the general steps above to install a Vehicle Kill Switch on your car, or you can consult a professional mechanic for assistance. Remember to always activate your switch when you park your car, and deactivate it when you drive your car. With a Vehicle Kill Switch, you can enjoy peace of mind and security for your car.